flag bar blue
kyng memorial logo 150-1

Kentucky National Guard Memorial

Honoring Their Sacrifice

Mail-social-32 FaceBook_32x32 flickr_32 Youtube-32

Brown, Harold M. (P2, C1, L13)

brown harold m editStaff Sergeant Harold Milton Brown, 26, Mt. Washington, Bullitt County, Kentucky, was killed on 11 June 1969 by rocket fire while in a bunker in Chu Lai, Vietnam while serving on federal active duty. Brown was serving with Battery C, 1st Battalion, 82nd Artillery, Americal Division at the time of his death.

Brown enlisted in the Kentucky Army National Guard’s, Battery C, 2nd Battalion, 138th Field Artillery in April 1964 and at the time of his enlistment he reported his occupation as laborer at International Harvester in Louisville. He had attended Mount Washington High School and was a member of Kings Baptist Church. He attended field artillery training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma from August 1964 to January 1965 and entered federal active duty with his unit in May 1968 as a Sergeant.

Brown was one of seventy-seven members of the battalion that were ”infused” in March of 1969 with the Americal Division at Chu Lai. The Army’s Infusion program was established to avoid a heavy reduction in personnel in one unit when the time came for the men to go home. Infusion provided for a slow, steady turnover of personnel. Additionally, in the case of the National Guard, the program helped avoid a heavy loss in one unit from one community in the event the unit was overrun.

Staff Sergeant Brown’s name appears on Panel 22W, Line 17, on the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington, D. C. He is buried in the Kings Church Cemetery in Mount Washington.

    Heavy Losses to Bardstown-based National Guard

    Unit Mourned as Bodies Come Home for Final Rest

    This Community's heavy hearts have become heavier.

    The Kentucky Standard newspaper July 3, 1969, front page

    brown harold m snapshotFive activated Kentucky Army National Guardsmen of Bardstown-based Company C, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 138th Artillery, were killed in an enemy attack on Fire Base Tomahawk in Vietnam June 19. The bodies of three were returned to Bardstown early this week and lie in their flag draped caskets awaiting last rites.

    Army officers from Fort Knox notified local families June 25 that the two first reported missing had been killed in action and that another, seriously injured, had died of burns in a hospital in Japan.

    Word of others hospitalized for injuries received in the attack has trickled in.Sgt. James T. Moore, 25, Bardstown, died June 24 of burns which covered 90 percent of his body. He hustled the last of his men out of a burning self-propelled, 105-mm howitzer, then got out too late himself.

    Spec. 4 Ronald E. Simpson, 22, Bardstown, first reported missing after the June 19 attack, was killed in action, as was Spec. 4 Joseph R. McIlvoy, 23, of Willisburg.

    The bodies of Moore, Simpson and Spec. 4 David Burr Collins, 24, whose death was announced four days after the attack, are at the Bardstown funeral home.brown harold m mil headstone

    First Sergeant Of Company Lost

    Company C's first sergeant, Luther Malcolm Chappel, of Bedford, Ky., was also among the five who lost their lives. He went to Vietnam as a member of Battery A, based at Carrollton, which also was part of the Federal call-up of National Guardsmen in May, 1968, and had been transferred to Company C. He replaced Sgt. Pat Simpson, of Bardstown, who completed his enlistment and came home several months ago.

    Harned, Janes Brought To Knox

    SFC William Kenneth (Buck) Harned and Spec. 4 Jerry T. Janes are among the group of seriously wounded who have been returned to the States. Both were brought to Fort Knox. Janes has recovered sufficiently to leave the hospital and now is on a 15-day leave at home. Harned is under treatment at a Fort Knox hospital.

    Sgt. Harned's wife, the former Pat Riggs, a registered nurse at the local hospital, learned in a telephone conversation with him Sunday night that he has severe burns on his right leg, burns on his left leg, face and stomach, wounds in the right leg and left hand, and punctured ear drums. He phoned her from Scott Air Force Base, Illinois, as he was enroute from a hospital in Japan to Fort Knox. Five other injured were coming with him to Fort Knox, he said.

    Spec. 4 Janes, Bardstown, and Sgt. Harned arrived at Ft. Knox together. Janes' family had been notified last week of his injuries, but Mrs. Harned says she never received any official word from the Army about her husband. When he phoned her, he thought she had been notified. She first learned about her husband from Janes' father, after he'd had a call from Jerry.

    Hibbs Wounded

    Another Bardstown guardsman injured is Spec. 4 Ronnie E. Hibbs, 25, son of Earl Hibbs, High Grove. His wife, the former Libby Rouse, who is with her parents at Solitude, learned of his wounds in a letter dated June 23, saying he is 40 miles from Tokyo, at Keshne, Japan, in the 106th General Hospital.

    At 1 a.m. Monday, the wife, father and uncle, A. V. Hibbs, Bardstown, talked to Ronnie in the Japan hospital. The time was 12 noon there. Hibbs told his family he was in Battery C's 105 Howitzer when the attack started. When their guns were knocked out, they fled to their bunkers, he said. In the run, he was burned, his clothes and hair on fire.

    Guardsman Bobby Stumph threw a blanket over him and saved his life, he said. He expects to be hospitalized 30 to 45 days.Hibbs had asked Spec. 4 Janes to phone his uncle, A. V. Hibbs, when he got back to Fort Knox.

    "The overseas operators were wonderful" in getting the call through to Spec. 4 Hibbs in Japan, commented A. V. Hibbs.

    Harned, son of Austin Harned, Boston, was employed at Skaggs Electric before being called up. Janes, son of Mr. and Mrs. Tommy Janes, was employed at Beam Distillery.

    Harned's enlistment was completed before the unit left Bardstown in the callup last May, and he volunteered to go with the National Guard into service.

    One of the injured has written home that 11 men of Battery C were hospitalized alongside Sgt. Moore, said his mother.

    First Sgt. Chappel didn't have to go to Vietnam. His enlistment in the Guard was completed last August, but he re-enlisted and went with his unit. "Because he was one of them, he thought he was obligated to be serving his country," said his wife, tearfully, recalling the painful decision he had to make. He was drafted in 1956, and served two years on active duty in peacetime. This time he felt he should go, "that he was no better than anyone else," Mrs. Chappel said.

    Company Lost Its Commander

    Battery C also lost its company commander, Captain Lyle J. Thompson, a few months ago. He was in a helicopter on an observation flight of bunkers Battery C. was shooting at. The haze was so dense that the helicopter either hit a mountain or was shot down, said one of the Bardstown men who returned home in recent months when enlistment was completed. Since the helicopter was burned to a crisp, the real facts of Captain Thompson's death were never determined. Captain Thompson had succeeded Captain Tom McClure, of Bardstown, who was the commanding officer of Battery C when the unit left Bardstown. He was transferred to the headquarters battalion some time ago.

    The first fatality of local men in the Bardstown-based Company C, 138th Artillery, was S Sgt. Harold M. Brown, Mt. Washington. He was killed June 11 in a mortar attack south of Chu Lai. His funeral was held June 26 at King's Baptist Church near Mr. Washington.

    Baby Arrives

    Spec. 4 Simpson's wife, the former Deanna Durbin, gave birth to a 6-lb. daughter, Cheryl Lynn, on Sunday, June 29, at Flaget Memorial Hospital, ten days after the death of the baby's father. The couple was married April 26, 1968.

    One of a family of seven children, Ronnie Simpson was graduated in 1966 from Bardstown High School, where he participated in track and won several awards for football. Among them was his selection to the Courier-Journal All-State Class A second team. He was employed at Salt River Rural Electric Cooperative when he was activated on May 16, 1968, with the National Guard unit.

    Made Church Deacon June 22

    The Bardstown First Christian Church, where he was a lifelong member, honored him on June 22 by elevating him from junior deacon to deacon, when word had not been received of his death. A charter member of the Order of Demolay, Simpson was a member of Duvall Lodge of Masons. He is survived by his wife and infant daughter; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Marchel Simpson, Bardstown; three brothers, Robert Lee and Kenneth Russell Simpson, Bardstown, and Marchel Irvin Simpson, Jr., Phoenix, Arizona; three sisters, Shirley Jean, Connie Margaret and Peggy Elaine Simpson, all at home; his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. George Dennis, Bloomfield.

    His body arrived Monday, accompanied home by Sgt. James R. Timony, and will be moved to the foyer of Bardstown High School for the memorial services Friday morning, July 4, at 9 a.m. Interment with Masonic and full military rites will follow in the Bardstown Cemetery. A memorial service was held for him the past Sunday at the local Christian Church.

    Staff Sgt. Moore, a 1961 graduate of St. Joseph Prep School, owned and operated a garage on Chaplin Road in Bloomfield before the National Guard call-up. Their fourth wedding anniversary was June 26.

    He is survived by his wife, the former Patsy Shaw; two daughters, Sheila Renee, 3 1/2, and Carla Michele, 2; one brother, Joseph Moore, and two sisters, Mrs. Leo Mayer and Mrs. Joseph Nally, Cox's Creek; his grandmother, Mrs. Millard Reid, Bardstown.

    Raisor Accompanies Moore's Body

    Sp. 5 Charles Thomas Raisor, who was wounded, but not seriously in the June 19 attack, accompanied Sgt. Moore's body home. It arrived Tuesday morning. Funeral services will be held Thursday, July 3, at 9 a.m. at St. Joseph Church with burial following in St. Joseph Cemetery. The rosary was recited Wednesday evening at 7:30 at the funeral home.

    When Jim's mother spoke of her son's helping the others escape, she remarked, "He was always like that, Always looking out for others and not himself." He had said many times he wanted to make a career of it, said his mother. "He didn't like the idea of having to go over there, but he made the best of it."

    Jim had planned to go into the trucking business with his brother when he got back. His 21-year-old wife and two children have been living with his parents on Sunset Drive since he left.

    Cousin Accompanies Collins Body

    Accompanied by his cousin, Teddy Collins, who was in Vietnam but with another unit, Spec. 4 David Burr Collins' body arrived home Monday. Teddy had been scheduled for R-and-R leave July 12-18 and now will have a 15-day leave with his wife, Sherry; and his family. Collins Funeral At Cox's Creek Funeral services for Spec. 4 David Collins, 24, will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, July 3, at the Cox's Creek Baptist Church, where he was a member. Interment will follow in St. Joseph Cemetery.

    The family has asked that expressions of sympathy take the form of memorial gifts to Collins' two-months-old son, David Todd Collins, whom he had never seen.

    He is survived by his wife, the former Patsy Dickerson, whom he married May 3, 1968, and infant son, who are living with her mother, Mrs. Charles L. Dickerson, near Bardstown; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Leon Collins, Plum Run Road; grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. John W. Collins and Mr. and Mrs. George Gordon, all of Bardstown; two brothers, Sgt. Wayne Coleman Collins, 26, who is hospitalized in Vietnam with injuries sustained in the June 19 attack, but not considered serious, and Danny Collins, 14, at home.

    David was a graduate of Bloomfield High School and employed as a diesel mechanic at Grigsby Sales and Service here. His training was at the Diesel School, Nashville, Tennessee.

    He was highly skilled.

    A graduate of Willisburg High school, Spec. 4 McIlvoy was employed at General Electric Appliance Park. He was married in March, 1968, to Mary Elaine Carney, of Willisburg. Besides his wife, he leaves his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph L. McIlvoy, Willisburg; one sister, Mrs. Nancy Perkins, Lexington, and one brother, Tommy McIlvoy, 17, at home.

    He and Spec. 4 Ronnie Simpson were the best of friends, said McIlvoy's aunt, Mrs. C. R. Ratliff, Bardstown.

    "We're not grieved merely for ourselves," said his dad, "We're just grieved for all of them." "We sure lost a fine bunch of boys. I was real close to them." said Joseph Kenny Ice, who completed his enlistment and returned to his home on the Bellwood road here a few weeks ago.

    "I was the platoon sergeant, and some of these who lost their lives were in my platoon."

    Collins, Dickersons Both Hit Twice

    Both the Collins and the Dickerson families have been hit heavy blows. The Collins lost one son and have another wounded. David's young widow's brother, Charlie Dickerson, has a permanent injury to his voice from a wound in the throat sustained last fall in Vietnam. He has a paralyzed nerve in his throat which will make his returning to teaching difficult. Presently, he continues in the service at Fort Campbell, Ky.

    Bardstown Guardsmen, Billy Snellen and Joe Hall, are completing their enlistment and returning

    Home this week.

    Stewart McClaskey, Boston, who was home on a 30-day leave due to illness of his father,

    Booker McClaskey, returned Sunday to Vietnam. He left Bardstown with the National Guard.



The Kentucky National Guard Memorial Fund, Inc., is a recognized 501(c)(3). EIN 26-3705273

KYNG Memorial | Our Fallen | Name Locater | Pre-1912 | Marcus Daly | By County HOR | RR Deaths 1917-18 | Grigg_Buri_Paper | Mission | Vision | Contact Us | Donors | Buy A Paver | Financial | In Memory Of | History | Board | Daniel Boone | Soil |
blue star bar blu